Wednesday, November 5, 2014

"Must be nice. I don't have time."

Few things piss me off faster than when a conversation takes place where someone says they'd love to freelance (it doesn't matter what area, but the last conversation was about writing) and when I get pulled into the conversation...the person says, "It must be nice. I just don't have time to do it."

You've got the same 24 hours per day as I do. You've got the same 24 hours that Bill Gates and other super rich people have. Most of them didn't start off rich. Don't give me the "I don't have time" bullshit. You have probably more time than I do.

There's no such thing as "I don't have time." There is such a thing as fucked up priorities. If you spend your time at work sitting on social media and bullshitting with your friends, then you have no business freelancing anyway...because you'll spend all your time on social media and not work (and then wonder why you got evicted and why you can't make any money).

Next I usually hear about how I don't understand because they have to go home and make dinner and take care of kids and the like. Oh, really? Please...tell me how I don't understand. I worked full time outside of the home and completed two college degrees while being married and taking care of two of my children.

Now I work from the home and my third son has multiple appointments every week because he is special needs. My husband works 12+ hours per day. I do the laundry, the dishes, and most of the other household chores. It isn't because he isn't supportive. He knows I work hard. He's watched me. However, I'd have to do these things if I were single so it doesn't matter if I do them now...and it gives me a nice break from work.

So, you DO have time to learn to be a successful freelancer. What you don't have is the determination and dedication it requires to do it. Don't tell me it must be nice to do what I do...but you don't want to give up your time to do it. You have to start from somewhere. You don't just wake up and suddenly you're a freelancer (okay so maybe some people do - but not most).

It starts with getting your ass off of social media in the evening (or morning) and using that time to set up your profiles and portfolio. You have time - you just don't WANT to do it. You don't want to make sacrifices.

If you're really serious, you'll know I'm right and you'll make adjustments. I started off doing it on the evenings and during the weekends. Now I can work primarily when and where I want. You don't automatically get that luxury. You must WORK for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice...the hand that feeds you can also choke you.