Thursday, November 20, 2014

You're making this far too hard on yourself!

Lately, I've been exposed to a lot of frustration. It's not from my clients. It's not from me. It's from new work from home people...they're frustrated because much like the U2 song...they still haven't found what they're looking for (online)!

So, they come to me complaining about how it's hard or how they can't get started because no one is looking for people in the field that they are interested in doing for work. I ask them about their search terms (and where they are looking).

The response is generally:

"I just ran an Internet search that says 'how to become a (insert job choice here)' and all I got back was pages that wanted to sell me something! I thought you said you don't have to pay to work from home."

Well, you don't pay to work from home as a job as opposed to business. However, you do pay out in your time, your sweat, and maybe even a few tears. Hey, freelancinaint easy.

You are making your search far too hard on yourself. Yes, there are people out there looking to make money selling info products. To some degree, that's okay. I have a book about freelance writing. There's nothing wrong with trying to make money because you know something that others want to know. You can avoid those sites by simplifying your search.

Here are some examples

hiring telecommute (job name)

hiring freelance (job name)

virtual call center

work from home chat agent

Do you see how much easier that is than an entire sentence? Those still aren't fool-proof searches, but you'll avoid most of the things that want money. You'll still find people looking to scam you...so be careful. If it looks to good to be true, it probably is... So, you need to do your research.

Just stop making this harder than it needs to be. We all learn from experience. I did. We all do. Don't make your life harder than it needs to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice...the hand that feeds you can also choke you.