Sunday, May 10, 2015

I won't apologize for my life.

It's Mother's Day. It's another holiday where people tell you it's insensitive to talk about the nice life you have or the nice things you've received. I disagree. I think if someone tells you on any day where you show gratitude for the things you have or receive that you are insensitive because they don't have it, that they are selfish.

I didn't have a good childhood. My biological parents (plural) sucked. Substance abuse makes you a shitty parent. Yesterday, I still did something nice for my mother. I did it because it was the right thing to do. Setting an example and being nice is the right thing to do.

Yesterday, my husband and sons gave me flowers. We played pinball (which I love). I received new shoes and a new shirt. I also received a CD of match 3 games that my 16 year old managed to get installed on to my laptop despite the fact that CD rom doesn't work. We have plans for today as well.

Stating my gratitude toward my husband and children doesn't make me insensitive. It makes me a gracious person. The fact that people want me (and others) to not talk about how it's Mother's Day isn't fair. It also discredits the nice things my family does for me. That's not fair. It's also selfish.

I won't apologize for having a great family. I won't apologize for having a nice life. I've worked too hard for it. If anyone wants you to apologize or not talk about how grateful you are for things you have that they may not have, tell them no.

Yes, I know this won't be a popular opinion. I don't really care. You don't see me telling people not to celebrate Father's Day. I give my husband a great day despite the fact that my father was a dick. Frankly, it would have been better for me NOT to have a father.

If you don't have a reason to celebrate Mother's Day, then just have a great day anyway...but don't take it away from someone else. That's not fair. Learn to be happy for others because you have things they don't have as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice...the hand that feeds you can also choke you.