Thursday, April 9, 2015

WAHM Lesson # 56

This disclaimer will be part of every WAHM Lesson. While these are true things that I've experienced as a work at home mom, many are written to make you laugh. They may or may not have happened in the order that they are listed. So, why is there a disclaimer? Because I know certain people that read this blog simply looking for dirt. Good luck with that. You won't find any. Go away and worry about your own life. For everyone that's here to read, learn, and laugh...welcome. Feel free to comment.

WAHM Lesson #56 - It's easy to lose and regain perspective.

I've worked in several professional capacities during my adult life. Even when I worked in entry level administrative assistant positions, I rather enjoyed dressing up for work (even if it wasn't a necessity). When I taught, it was a necessity for me to wear business professional clothing. Now that I work from home, my standard attire is essentially jeans and a t-shirt. Awesome, right? Well, it does make laundry easier.

Anyway, there are some days that I'm lucky to get a shower. Days like today, I'll be lucky to get much of anything done that people dream about when they think about working from home. There will be no naps. There are hardly ever any naps. There will be no downtime (unless you count me adding this post). Even my time on Facebook will be business related. I mean...you know, it is what it is. I'm really glad that I work from home because like I've stated I don't know how many times before...it's a very flexible lifestyle.

Yet...last night I was on my very large, covered front porch working. The weather was great. I had on mismatched socks, capri pants, and a black t-shirt. Sure, my hair was brushed...but I hadn't done anything with it. I wasn't working make up. I'm fairly sure that few of my past coworkers would have recognized me. I felt really, really frumpy. Then...one of my neighbors arrived home. He got out of his car dressed quite well...and I felt even worse about my appearance. It's not that I had or even have any desire to please some dude who lives next door. First, I'm very happily married to the world's most awesome dude. Second, my neighbor is not straight. Third, I've never really cared much about trying to make other people happy with my appearance. I've always dressed for me.

Then, I looked down at my laptop screen and realized that it was almost 8 pm. My home smelled like a delicious dinner. My youngest son was laughing and playing in the house. I could hear him through the open window. My husband was laughing at something on TV. And I felt better. That particular neighbor is usually gone for 12+ hours per day...and if he loves what he does, then I'm happy for him. He clearly has to get up earlier than necessary to bother getting dressed. He clearly has clothing that he must have professionally cleaned. If he's okay with doing all that, then that's great for him.

Me? I can save my valuable energy (and when you're a heart patient, all of your energy is valuable) for the things that matter. I don't have to impress anyone with what I wear. My job or my livelihood isn't dependent upon what someone thinks of my external appearance. I don't have to be up at a ridiculous hour (except apparently today) to work. I can work when I want to work. I have the choice of either dressing in my paralegal clothes or I can just wear this and go out with my youngest son and get dirty. I don't have to ask someone to take time off to do something for any of my children. I don't have to ask someone if I can come in late because of an appointment.

So, yeah...last night I lost my perspective for about 10 seconds...but not now.

Oh, and Tumblr....I set up a Tumblr that lists various writing opportunities. I'll still be curating and posting writing gigs here when I have time. Tumblr basically lists stuff that I've found through social media. It's easier to send that to my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice...the hand that feeds you can also choke you.